Monday, February 21, 2011

Midterm





















Artist Statement

My big idea is the concept of unique. At first I struggled what I wanted to do with my big idea, but then my cohort partner and I began discussing the idea and it truly helped me figure out what I wanted to do with my project. I attempted to look at two opposite sides of the word. My series explores both sides of trying to find the right balance of uniqueness. On one side you have a girl whose uniqueness has driven her to the point where is depressed because she is considered “too unique”, therefore, making her an outcast and socially ostracized. On the other side, is a young girl who feels alone and empty because she is blending in too much and has not found a way to express her uniqueness, mostly likely due to the fear of losing the “acceptance” feeling from others. In the first part it was important to use dark colors and broken glass to show how unhappy she is with her image. In the second part it was important to use blending and stereotypical images of high school because even though she is surrounded by so many “cookie cutter” types of people, she is still able to feel so alone. This idea is so important to me because I have always strongly believed in just being yourself and letting your uniqueness shine, I think that is the only way to truly live your life.

3 comments:

  1. I like the artist statement here, and the message being given. My only suggestion would be instead of using the blur tool, use blur as a filter. That would save time and be easier. Also, making a new layer via copy instead of cut. I had that problem in an earlier quiz, it's frustrating.
    This is a great Big Idea, and is way cooler than "Strange" :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used the dark tones and black and white effects on the first image to really give it that depressed look. Also adding the two images on the wall really brings out the meaning in the piece and gives the viewer a sense of maybe why she is so depressed.
    In the second image you do a great job of capturing all of the high school"clicks" in the image of the kids looking at the girl. You do an awesome job portraying the "popular" crowd as many believe them to be. Also how you distort the group of kids to make the lone girl stand out draws our attention more to her than the group making us feel as if maybe she does not fit in.
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I would work on is to try to not distort the image in the blur. Also you could maybe make the lone girl in the second image stand out a bit more by adding a glow or more color or something else.

    ReplyDelete