Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Final Artist Statement

My Big Idea is coexistence. I really tried to focus on coexistence when it came to nature and nature and nature and humans. In the first series I depicted nature within nature. Everything in this first series is natural and untouched. The turtle is eating a piece of nature (flower) and that is another example of how a living organism coexists with its nature and environment. The turtle must "eat" nature to survive but this is all a natural process. My grandmother is inserted as a symbol of "Mother Nature", as a caring figure. I think Mother Nature is always telling us that she is here for us and takes care of us, but we need to do the same as humans. The second series depicts the coexistence between nature and humans. This shows the more unnatural way of how our nature is now due to to our  human integration within nature. For example, the sign in the foreground is an example of how we humans need to be reminded daily that it is our responsibility to take care of this Earth, it is a shame that we are always unable to do it without "reminders." In addition, the boat sinking is another symbolic way of showing how us humans are taking nature down. Global warming, oil spills, pollution, are all issues of the present and it is all due to us. Humans are the more greedy side of the factor, as we always tend to "take-over". At the same time, I tried to show a little positive side to it all with people swimming and with the person in the background in the hammock. I do believe people have an appreciation for nature and what it does for us and how we are able to enjoy it in many different ways, but just to "enjoy" nature has proven to not be enough to save Mother Nature in the most recent years.
I first came up with this idea like stated in my Blog 4 by having appreciation for a man named Jay Haverstick who was from my hometown. He was so fascinated with nature. He could always bring the beauty out in anything he photographed. He was very influential and I believe made people really stop and think about what wonderful and natural things are surrounding us everyday. He always took the time to just stop and look around and take in everything that has been given to us for free. I look up to him for teaching me such a valuable lesson. I think it is important for not only myself, but for everyone to consider nature more and to always be reminded what it has done for us. I think if everyone could ask themselves that then we would not be having so many environmental issues at the present time. It is truly sad and shameful.




Final 1

Final 2

No comments:

Post a Comment